Friday, May 14, 2010

I went for my birth control today and they wouldn't give it to me due to my blood pressure being 130 over 100

I guess this sounds dumb but do I need to see a doctor right away ? I have to do this huge eval. before they will let me make an appointment but I dont want to hold it off any longer if its risky??Does anyone know because I know nothing about blood pressure and they told me a my gyno to make a regular doctors appointment right away but they said it could be a week before I can even get the eval.I went for my birth control today and they wouldn't give it to me due to my blood pressure being 130 over 100
Blood pressure of 130/100 is quite high (the 130 is high-normal for heart pumping, but the 100 is *very* high for a relaxed heart)... it's not a good thing to combine with hormonal contraceptives and your doctor would be right to avoid prescribing them.





You need to have your circulatory issues evaluated and treated first. That's really all there is to it.I went for my birth control today and they wouldn't give it to me due to my blood pressure being 130 over 100
Keep a check on your BP. You may have developed high blood pressure and this does not mix with birth control pills. There are alternated methods to use...
Birth control pills can cause stroke and blood clots. That is why they would not prescribe them to you with your blood pressure being that high. 130/100 is higher than normal (mine is 120/80 and they call me borderline, but I am on the Pill).





Did they take your pressure more than once? Could it have been because you were nervous? Go see your regular doctor. If your pressure is normal there then it may be that you were just nervous. There was a study not long ago that showed that the longer someone had to wait to see a doctor or the more concerned they were about their health, made their blood pressure go up and gave an inaccurate reading.





That is why at my OB/GYN's office and my regular doctor's office they both take my pressure more than once if I have a high reading. Sometimes, they're using the wrong cuff too. If you are overweight they need to use the larger cuff because the regular cuff will cut into your arm and make it hurt which will make your pressure spike (pain causes high blood pressure too).





If you do suffer from high BP, then it's time to evaluate what dietary things you need to do and/or medications (that is SOLELY your doctor's decision). There are other forms of birth control that are non-hormonal that you can use - such as the diaphram or cervical cap.





Good luck, honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment