Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My physician refuses to continue prescribing birth control unless I agree to take blood pressure medicaion.?

I have been on birth control for the past 4 years to help w/ severe cramps and irregular cycles, but I recently moved to a new state and have a new primary care physician. During the very first visit, she tried pushing me to take medication for high blood pressure and cholesterol, and got pretty angry/persistant when I refused. Can she refuse to fill my birth control prescription because I refuse to begin taking her recommended medications? (She also tried to push me to take those Gardasil injections when I and my partner have only been with each other.) Does this seem normal? I need this prescription filled! Thank you for your time and input!My physician refuses to continue prescribing birth control unless I agree to take blood pressure medicaion.?
Birth control is associated with increased risk of stroke (especially in women above 35). If you have high blood pressure and high cholesterol then you are at an even higher risk of stroke. Your doctor would be held liable for giving you birth control without properly managing your risk factors if you did have a stroke.





Most doctors will allow patients to make minimally risky health decisions (such as birth control with high blood pressure and cholesterol) as long as they document that they informed you of the risk and are aware of it, so you can always try another doctor and tell her what you would like.





Good Luck!My physician refuses to continue prescribing birth control unless I agree to take blood pressure medicaion.?
I would change doctors if I were you just because of her pushing the gardasil injections on you. However, as far as birth control goes the doctor may be protecting you and herself by doing this since she holds the ';write to right'; a script. It is dangerous to be on birth control in certain circumstances with high blood pressure because it can increase your chances of stroke. Perhaps seeing a family planning clinic might be a better option for your birth control if you do not feel like dealing with her, but remember you do not want to put your health at risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment