Friday, January 22, 2010

Blood pressure/Birth control?

So, I went to the doctor a while ago and he said my blood pressure was a bit high. He then put me on a 24 hour monitoring thing so he would know if it was actually high or if it was just because I was nervous from being at the doctor's. He just called me back this week and told me to come in for an appointment to discuss my results from the test. I am on birth control, and he said that my blood pressure has gone up since I began taking it 3 years ago. When I go into the doctor on Monday, what do you think he will do? Take me off the pill, put me on another one, or do other tests?





Blood pressure/Birth control?
Birth controls contain Progesterone, and Progesterone is a hormone that can affect blood pressure. The mechanism by which this occurs is complicated, but involves both hormone cascades and direct effect on small blood vessels. Because of these effects, it is possible that taking birth control pills can cause your blood pressure to rise. This increase in blood pressure can range from very mild to potentially serious, and may sometimes warrant discontinuing the birth control.











If your blood pressure rises while you鈥檙e using the pill, this does not necessarily mean that you must stop taking the pill. Your doctor will monitor your blood pressure very carefully, and will provide advice and recommendations based on your circumstances. Some possibilities may include





* Continuing as normal


* Changing to a different pill with lower levels of progesterone


* Trying a different method of birth control









No comments:

Post a Comment